Wednesday, November 14, 2012

REDEFINE ATHLETE


What is an “Athlete”?
CrossFit

Is it only someone that is actively involved in a sport? Is someone that works out a lot and keeps in shape? Maybe it is only those special humans that perform the most awe-inspiring physical feats. But maybe, just maybe, we are all athletes.
Jungle Gym Dad while watching Football
It doesn’t matter whether it is dunking a basketball or getting out of bed, whether its powerlifting or cleaning out the attic, or whether its performing a floor routine in the Olympics or playing “jungle gym dad” with our children, everything we do in life in an athletic performance.


Now I know that most of you don’t feel like anything you do in life is very athletic or (even slightly coordinated), but I promise you, it is. Think about your physical function on a scale from one to one thousand.  Obviously people like Kevin Durant are very close to the top. That isn’t you and never will be, but you are rated somewhere in between KD and zero.

At SPI we live by the slogan “Train for the Sport of Life”.  This is an ethos based on the idea that we are playing this grand sport we call life.  I personally want to be the best at my life as I can be.  Not only do I want to be physically fit because it is my job, but I also want to be able to perform any task I want any time I want. This leads to a higher quality of life, not only for me, but my children and my family as well.
 
 
For example, about a year and a half ago I went on my very first ski trip with my girlfriend Jordanne and her parents. I was convinced that I was going to be an awesome snowboarder. I really never even considered that it was even going to be a challenge. Well, I was slightly wrong. After about an hour of falling and confidence building, and even worse falls due to over confidence, I finally figured out what was required of my body to be able to keep my balance and maneuver the board down the hill. After about 2 hours I was going down blue slopes with ease. (Jordanne would say I only made it down that hill because there was a bar at the bottom, but the point is the same.)  This is made possible by training in the gym for any and all situations.
 
 
I train my body and I set up SPI’s training programs with one main thought process in mind: “will these exercise help my/our lives?” I understand it may not always seem pertinent to your personal life when you are on your fourth round of Clean and Jerks and you have already performed a wide array of other various and possibly crazy movements. However, constantly varying our movements, intensity and layout of our workouts prepares our bodies for ANYTHING!
 



So, whether your life is boring or exciting, whether it involves golf or chasing around children all day, train for the sport of YOUR life and REDEFINE ATHLETE!
 



What about you?  Do you consider yourself an athlete?  How has your view of yourself changed since training with Shane?  Have you ever risked your life going down a ski slope to get a beer?

Be Safe,
Work Hard
Repeat.
 
God Bless,

Shane





No comments:

Post a Comment